Sunday 9 June 2019

New laptop

It’s been two months now since the day my Acer Aspire died. I never liked it all that much, although it wasn’t its own fault (it had Windows 8 pre-installed like the others at that time, and I found that a step back rather than an improvement in comparison with Win7), and in fact it served me reasonably reliably for more than five years – longer than any of its predecessors.

It’s been two months now since the following day, when I bought a new device, a cheap HP, and I still can’t get used to how slow it is. Even opening a 20KB .rtf file takes it as long as the Acer needed to open a 1.3MB .odt file, and as for opening a few browser tabs at once … sometimes it feels like the sod thinks that multitasking simply means doing one task at a time, but remembering what to do next. I’ve learned that if I want to watch an iPlayer programme, I need to close almost every other programme to have at least a chance at avoiding a stop-start execution. (And of course, Win10 is even worse than Win8.)

But I was always good at finding the silver lining of a cloud. I console myself by admitting that like this I’m becoming less addicted to the internet. Readier to accept that I simply don’t have the time to read, watch, listen to, edit, write &c&c this or that.

I even began spending more time reading books again. For a lifelong bookworm, not such a bad deal.


(originally posted on Tumblr)

No comments:

Post a Comment