Saturday 15 February 2020

Day shifts going on

It was bad enough news when the company doc didn't allow me doing three shifts. Now there are so few orders for the work I'm meant to do 'primarily' that I'm helping elsewhere, which isn't too bad, but it also means only doing day shifts. I've just finished a fourth week, but I just can't get used to it.

True, I can get through the working week by getting up in the wee small hours, sitting at the laptop until it's time to go to work, then having a few pints and going to bed. The last time I even managed to do things I meant to do on the day I meant to do them before going to work, as opposed to on the following night. But being up mid-morning is so unnatural to me that I can't stick to the pattern over the weekend. I can just about manage Saturday, but on Sunday I have to return to bed after sunrise, and on Monday I have to start getting used to the day-shift rhythm all over again.

Even the day shifts' only advantage, lunches which are varied and prepared by somebody else, don't make up for the resulting tiredness and increasing backlog of things I'd like to do in my spare time. And the end of this day-shift run is nowehere in sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment