Tuesday 2 February 2021

Chemoradiotherapy over

If going through several examinations (while still attending at work) until getting the diagnose was the first stage, then preparations (like having a catheter and PEG tube inserted) for and the actual therapy was the second. One which is, after the last rays yesterday and the last dripping today, finally over too.

It would be a lie to say it was as hard as the previous stage, or as my previous radiochemotherapy four years ago. In fact, during the first half I could actually feel my state slowly but surely improve. But later I began gradually tiring more easily instead, days when I hardly did anything other than what I thought really necessary becoming more frequent. Going out for a radiation session might only take a few hours, but once back I would as likely as not just have a meal, doze (or not) in bed for a couple of hours, and maybe later do a bit of language studies before going to read in bed again. I would eat significantly less as well, although surprisingly I kept my weight all through.

Well it's over now, and a month-long third phase begins. Except for going the messages I shouldn't have to leave my digs more that once a week - although I think I better take a constitutional now and then, just to get some fresh air. The main thing is getting my strength back, partly at least (I suspect a month is too short to get from 50 kilo back to 60, the more so as for another week the side effects of the therapy are expected to continue), and catch up on all the things I have been neglecting.

And then on 2nd March a CT scan, with results the next day. I hope that till then I'll write here about other things than my health. I naturally want to get these things off my chest, but doing so I feel unpleasantly like one of those old geezers for whom their own health is the only remaining interesting topic of conversation.



No comments:

Post a Comment