Sunday 11 April 2021

Overwhelmed by emails

About a month ago I began, almost suddenly, to receive an unusually large number of emails. Some who often make no contact for months mailed in the way in which people usually text. Some who normally never reply my emails did. There was even one old friend I haven't heard from for about five years who not only renewed the contact, but began writing emails so long they resembled good old-fashioned letters. (I'd naturally reply in like manner.)

It almost felt as if I had only a couple of months left before I died, and somehow the word got round so everybody wanted to enjoy communicating with me while they still could, or to make my last days more pleasant. My mind was going into overdrive as I'm not used to this, and I had to neglect, to some degree, just about every other activity of mine.

But as I expected, it only took some patience to get through. This hectic activity only lasted two or three weeks. It's already business as usual by now: a few days may pass without anybody mailing me at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment