Monday 13 April 2020

Italo Calvino: The Baron in the Trees (Il barone rampamte)

I recognized his usual manner of rejecting anything that forced him to emerge from his world.
(p 239)

One might say that the more determined he was to stay hidden up in his branches, the greater the need he felt to create new relations with the human race.
(p 267)
(both by the narrator, Biagio, about his brother, Cosimo Piovasco di Rondò)


I suspect I'm a lot like that. Where I live is neither attractive nor interesting to me, so I have little to talk about with the locals. I live in my own world of books, music, websites and so on, and if anybody tries to drag me out of my shell I instinctively recoil. On the other hand I'm constantly looking for ways of meeting people with similar interests via the internet. I do enjoy communicating with people ... but only with some people, in some languages, and preferably in writing (which for me is an easier way of expressing myself than speech is, but that's a topic for another post).


No comments:

Post a Comment