Tuesday 31 December 2019

2019

In retrospect it looks as a somewhat languid year; as if I was already training for retirement.

Inevitably, it had its ups and downs. There were taxing and frustrating moments: teeth reconstruction, noisy neighbours, collapse of my old laptop, change of employment, being diagnosed with hypothyroidism, ...

… but mostly I kept going: the cancer didn’t reappear, I kept up with Tommy (getting a mail from whom always made my day), my old college friends (including a real drinking session again), and Rob; went on learning languages (and adding another one), … even the weather was comparatively mild.

Strangely though, on most days I visited a pub, an yet rarely got really drunk. Thus, I read dozens of books, several of them new to me (most notably The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time).

(Similarly in the outside world: Brexit dragged on and on, but Duncan Scott had some spectacular successes, and so on and so forth.)

So I guess it wasn’t a bad year, all things considered. Still, I do hope that I’ll achieve a bit more, and have a bit more fun, during the next one. Never say die.


(originally posted on WordPress)

No comments:

Post a Comment