Saturday 28 December 2019

"Ok boomer"

I haven’t found a source that would stretch the definition of "baby boomer" far enough to cover my own birthday, and yet the "ok boomer" catchphrase somehow irritates me. Maybe because I perceive the 1960s (when baby boomers themselves were young) as the last time in the Western civilisation when young people, as a group, still believed they could change humankind for the better. All I can see in the following generations (ay, including mine) is punkers, yuppies, hipsters, and those desperate ones like Thunberg who can do no more than try to at least prevent a complete catastrophe.

Or maybe it annoys me simply because all my life I’ve been trying to be condescending neither to those older nor to those younger than me, while being patronised by my elders when young … and now that I’m old feeling patronised by the younger ones.


(originally posted on WordPress)

No comments:

Post a Comment