Tuesday 28 January 2020

Où sont les neiges d'antan ?

Sure, even in my childhood a white Christmas was something rare, only talked of as commonplace by the old ones (whose own memories may moreover have been distorted). But proper snow, one which would not only settle, but last for several days even in towns and cities, at some time during the winter, was something we took for granted. During my four winters in Glasgow I hadn't experienced snow that would outlast twenty-four hours once, which I put down to the place's climate, but I'm not sure I've seen it ever since in the two cities on the Continent where I'd spent the following five winters (including this one) either. I miss it. What kind of winter is it without snow? Like spring without blossoms, summer without sun or autumn without turning and falling leaves ...

No comments:

Post a Comment