Saturday 2 January 2021

SM as a substitute

In a sort of afterword to the 2016 edition of his Lanark: A Life in Four Books, Alasdair Gray mentions: "I was terribly stimulated by the highly coloured American comics which first came to Britain in the late 1940s when I was in my early teens. They showed [...] females with figures and faces like glamorous film-stars of that time, but wearing much less clothing, and since the representation of normal sexual practice was forbidden by the USA moral code their adventures involved them in capture and bondage instead." I have a different yet similar experience: coming into my teens at a time when homosexuality was more or less a taboo topic, it simply didn't occur to me to have 'bona fide' sexual fantasies; mine instead involved the other form of male-to-male touch: fights, captures and so on.



No comments:

Post a Comment